230 calories
1 small sub ( 6 inches )
per serving
per serving
SUBWAY Veggie Delight has become the poster sandwich for a healthy fast food choice. The ingredients include a 9 grain wheat bread, veggies, and a non-fat dressing.
But, is it healthy?
I want this sandwich to live up to its promise. The concept, a healthy bread paired with a bunch of veggies is excellent. I have made yummy sandwiches at home with similar ingredients and really love them.
But, SUBWAY is a fast food chain and one that seems to have sprouted up overnight in all corners of the world. The closest fast food place to me is a SUBWAY. The company wraps itself in a halo of health and you cannot deny the fact it serves fresh veggies.
On my visit to my local branch, I ordered the sandwich photographed above. It is the SUBWAY Veggie Delight with their 9-Grain Wheat (cored out to reduce calories), all the veggies, and the fat free honey mustard dressing. I was unable to get an ingredient list at the store - but they provide it on their website and I have posted it below.
Three facts:
- The 9-Grain Wheat is not 100% Whole grain. Notice the first ingredient listed is wheat flour (see Toast)
- There are artificial colors and preservatives added to some of the veggies.
- There is no honey in the Fat Free Honey Mustard Dressing. I guess Fat Free High Fructose Corn Syrup Mustard Dressing isn't a great name.
And, the store features soda, cookies, and chips to go with your sandwich. I will tell you from personal experience it is REALLY hard to order the Veggie Delight without adding one of these treats.
You have to ask yourself if they are able to sell you 12 inches of sandwich for $5 - is it quality? Remember, this is a fast food chain like McD's, Burger King and Taco Bell. They want to sell a lot of food - and they want to make it cheap.
Honestly, I don't want to be down on SUBWAY because I want a fast food choice which is healthy.
They could be more healthy by using a 100% whole grain bread, less artificial colors and preservatives, and a dressing with different ingredients.
Still, if I am on the road, I stop at SUBWAY and order this sandwich. Why? Because, at least it is low calorie and I get fresh veggies. I still haven't figured out which dressing to use to make it taste great. I did figure out not to put the jalapenos on the sandwich - they hurt!
source :http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/subway-veggie-delight/?e=j-L3X1ar
